Sunday, November 6, 2011

Homemade & Healthy - Fruit & Veg Shakes

Every now again, I get drawn into these detox diets that I read about online or in a magazine, usually after a week of indulging on delicious and not so great for me food. And although I lack the mental strength to complete a raw food plan or a juice cleanse, I do discover new food combos that are good for me.

So this week I was inspired by the raw food cleanse and was making fresh shakes for breakfast. I don't have a juicer, so I had to make do with my blender. My biggest concern was that the extra bits that usually get separated in a juicer would interfere with the quality of my shakes, but to my surprise and relief it wasn't an issue.

First, I really wanted to create a spinach shake and I mixed:

300 ml basic apple juice
1 peeled whole orange
1 handful of fresh spinach (about a cup)



This was delicious and the orange bits added texture, which I like but you can strain it out. For my second shake, I wanted to mix pomegranate with spinach, but my instincts told me no. So I blended:

One whole pomegranate (manually extracted all the seeds)
300 ml basic apple juice
1 large chunk of fresh ginger roughly chopped



This was really refreshing and luckily, the blitz pits of the pomegranate sank to the bottom so didn't mess up my shake. The sweetness of the ready made apple juice balanced out the bitterness of the pomegranate and the strong ginger.

In my research, I also discovered these shakes that I'd like to try next.

Vegan Chocolate Shake

Spinach Banana Shake (odd I know, but I love to try experimental food)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...