Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Gettin' Over the Hump: Veganism


Veganism...where do I begin? This is something that I'm becoming increasingly passionate about, which is pretty obvious if you follow me. Am I vegan? No. I'd say I probably eat vegan 80% of the time, but there are moments where I can't keep my paws off a dessert or am in a situation where it literally feels like feast or famine. I always choose feast, which usually means consuming a bit of cheese or seafood.

To be honestly frank I'm not sure I'll ever be truly vegan because I'm mostly motivated by the health benefits of the eating lifestyle and less in the overall lifestyle. However, I'm becoming increasingly aware and inspired by compassionate living and reducing my own carbon footprint. I wanted to share a few links that moved me to leap into veganism.

It all started with a prediabetes diagnosis and I remember finding Dr. Neal Barnard's program for reversing diabetes and thought shit! His books and his YouTube videos, including this one for TEDx Talks, pushed me to take a closer look at my diet when I was struggling to stabilize my blood sugars.

I discovered Kris Carr in my research and am completely moved by how she's managed living with terminal cancer for over 10 years through holistic and compassionate living. All her blogs and posts are interesting and insightful.

Early on in my journey my friend Pippa sent me this college lecture by Gary Yourofsky on veganism. If you have an hour it's really worth watching and his enthusiasm makes it a non-snoozer!

The biggest challenge for me about being vegan is seafood. I'm becoming less enamored by fish, but love shellfish especially shrimp. I recently discovered this film about the environmental and social impact shrimp farming has had in countries like Bangladesh. This has made me incredibly sad.

I know that my friends and family struggle to understand my transition into this lifestyle, but I hope this helps in understanding where my head is at. I'd love to hear thoughts, questions, or support from fellow transitioners!

Lots of love,

L




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...