Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Feed Me: Open-faced Smoked Salmon on Rye


So I've just devoured a tasty homemade lunch and wanted to share. This afternoon I did a weight training session at Fitness4less, followed by an intense yoga class at Bikram City. By the time I came home, my appetite was ravenous or as the Italian would say "o fame da lupo!" I wanted something healthy, full of protein and delicious. The other day I made a quick salmon on rye sandwich for work and tweeted how good it was. Since I had more time after my workout, I decided to make it again, but with extra love.

This is what I did layering from top to bottom:
  • One toasted Biona Organic Rye bread with amaranth & quinoa (much heartier than rye loaf and the quinoa adds extra protein)
  • Spread with a think layer of Dijon mustard
  • Topped with fresh spinach leaves
  • Layered with thin slices of smoked salmon
  • Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
  • Add some slices of fresh tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes
  • Drizzle with lil' bit of sun-dried tomato oil
  • Sprinkle of capers, chili flakes and dried rosemary


OH MY GOD it was good. I will say that this is an acidic dish with the vinegar from the mustard, tomatoes, lemon juice, capers and chili flakes. I could see AA Gill slaughtering me about it from the list of ingredients alone. But if you are like me and you like a bit of acidity (think ceviche) then proceed, if not omit the lemon juice.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...