Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Gettin' Over the Hump


I don't really drink soda, but once in a blue moon I get a craving for it. There's something about the sweet bubbles hitting the back of my throat that's really enjoyable. I understand the appeal and know that soda addiction is very real. We all know sweet soda ain't great for us, but do we know that the diet version is just as bad? In my eyes it's even worse because the message behind the can is so misleading. 

Most of my friends and family drink Diet Coke, so let's start there. According to Coca-Cola's website there are 7 ingredients in Diet Coke but according to the can in my hand there are 11. Odd, no? What's even more interesting (or scary) is that all these ingredients combined add up to nothing - 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 fats and 0 protein. How can this possibly be? First it's important to understand that all foods are made up of either protein, carbs or fat. So basically there are no real food ingredients in Diet Coke which means it's all chemicals. I used to think that diet sodas had no affect on my body because it had zero calories, but it does so much damage to our insides. Here are few links as to why we should reconsider drinking our favorite diet soda:

Diet sodas increases our risk for Type 2 diabetes.

One of the most common artificial sweetener in diet sodas is Aspartame, aka Nutrasweet or Equal, which has been shown to worsen insulin sensitivity and raise insulin levels as much as sugar. This is terrible for prediabetics like me or those who suffer from Type 2 diabetes.

Diet soda leads to weight gain because the artificial sweetener with zero sugar calories doesn't satisfy your carb cravings causing you to eat more.

Diet soda contains phosphoric acid and when consumed it pulls calcium from our bones, promoting bone breakdown and low bone density

Diet soda causes gradual damage to our brains and increases our risk for Alzheimer’s Disease.

Hub likes to keep diet sodas in the fridge for whenever we have guests, but now I feel like I should just throw them out. Maybe it's not so hospitable after all. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...