Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Gettin' Over the Hump


We're almost there but not quite and yet already there.

Lately I've been exploring veganism, but I find it hard to talk about my new found passion outside of Hub. Becoming vegan never crossed my mind until I came across vegetarian advocates like Dr. Neal Barnard and Dr. Dean Ornish who have shown that a low fat vegan diet can reverse and prevent diabetes. It really struck a cord with me and the nutritional science made sense.

But I love seafood. I feel conflicted about the whole thing. Is it hypocritical to not feel comfortable with eating mammals, but be totally down with lobster? If I did go vegan, what would my family and friends think? What if I tried it out like the Blonde Vegan and then changed my mind?

Here are some hump links on the subject that got me all fired up and confused. Hopefully they'll confuse you too and you can forget about work.

The rise of the non-veggie vegetarian

Do lobsters and other seafood feel pain?

An interesting post explaining why some "vegetarians" are okay with eating fish

If I do want to eat fish, which is better wild fish or farmed fish?

(Pictured above are Blue Crab & Rock Shrimp Fritters from Coastal Flats in Fairfax, VA)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...