Friday, February 28, 2014

Spicy Veggie Burgers with Avocado Mayonnaise


Happy Friday! Today is the first day of Carnival and I'm looking forward to checking out some blocos, block parties organized by samba schools with lots of live music and good street food. In an effort to avoid tempting salgadinhos, I'm thinking of making a big batch of these burgers so that I can just grab and go. They are delicious and filled with goodness. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.

Spicy Veggie Burgers
1 1/2 cup soaked black beans
1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, 2 whole and 2 minced
1 veggie bouillon cube
fresh cilantro
olive oil
1 red chili minced
1 tsp dried chili flakes
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp dried cilantro
1 medium yellow onion, half whole and half minced
1/2 cup canned sweet corn
3/4 cup of wholegrain flour of choice (I used gluten-free linseed flour)
sea salt

Avocado Mayonnaise
1 avocado
juice of 1/2 lime
couple of sprigs of fresh cilantro
sea salt to taste

I basically prepared my beans the same way I did for my smokey vegan feijoada. Soak your black beans overnight then straight and throw in a pot with 2 whole garlic cloves, half of a whole yellow onion, the bouillon cube, few sprigs of cilantro and sea salt. Fill the pot with fresh water and with two inches above the beans. Bring to a boil, the down to a simmer and cover for about 1 1/2-2 hours. When the beans are fully cooked like below, remove from the hob and let them cool down. 


Sautee your minced yellow onion with a tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan until soft. Then add the minced garlic, chili, bell pepper and all your spices. Season with a little bit of sea salt and sautee until the peppers start to soften. Strain the bean and put aside to cool down. For the avocado mayonnaise, blend all the ingredients together in a food processor or blender until creamy smooth.


When your beans have cooled down, remove about 3/4 of the black beans and place in a large bowl. Mash up your beans using the back of a fork or potato masher. Once completely mashed add in 1/4 cup of flour, sauteed veggies, sweet corn and remaining whole black beans.



Start heating up a large non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Place the remaining flour on a plate for coating. Start forming round patties about the size of your palm by hand and coat each side well with your flour.


When your pan is ready, start cooking your burgers and cook about 5 minutes on each side or until the flour starts browning. Helpful tip, don't panic if your burgers crack a little. They just need a little extra love on the skillet and I used my spatula to help keep the shape together.  

 

And poof! I served Hub's bean burger on a fresh baked roll, but I served mine with a nice side salad instead.



Hamburgers are no fun without some fries, so for a healthier version I decided to roast some veggies. I chopped up carrots, sweet potato and zucchini into french fry strips and baked them with a little bit of olive oil and lots of sea salt and rosemary.



What are you up to this weekend? Hope you have a good one and I'll keep you posted of my first Carnival experience later this week. Have a good one.

Great reads for this post:
A raw burger?
Tips for homemade veggie burgers
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...