Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Welcome to Forte do Leme


Next to Copacabana is Leme, which is a less touristy neighborhood with more quiet beaches. At the end of the beach is Morro do Leme which is a beautiful mountain with a hiking trail that leads up to panoramic views. We thought it would be great practice for SCWC's Three Peaks Challenge, which I'm fundraising for and here's a link to my donation page (wink, wink). We will be climbing 3 mountains in 24 hours and I'm super excited. It's going to be intense (there's a bit of rock climbing involved?!?) and I've never really challenged my physical stamina. We will also be ending our hike with Christ the Redeemer, which I have yet to see. 


All along the trail are these beautiful wrought iron markings and Hub mentioned that people sometimes do a religious pilgrimage, crawling up the the trail on their hands and knees. 



One of the best things about the hike were the wild animals. There were these massive bright blue butterflies everywhere that for the life of me, I could not capture on film. And of course these little guys called Micos who would come out and say hello. 





The top is just stunning with 360 views. I got to see nearby cities, Sugarloaf mountain
and all of Leme and Copacabana. 



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...